Lokpal Bill to be operationally pragmatic: Singhvi
New Delhi: Amid speculation over who will be `in` and who will be `out` of purview of Lokpal, Abhishek Singhvi, Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee examining the
Bill, on Monday said the proposed measure will be "operationally pragmatic".
He told a news agency that each member of the committee has been trying to do his best to ensure a "strong and constitutionally valid" Bill and the objective was to have an "operationally pragmatic Bill".
His remarks assume significance as there have been reports of sharp divisions in the Parliamentary panel on bringing the office of the Prime Minister under the ambit of the Lokpal.
While some members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances and Law and Justice felt that the Prime Minister should be brought under the Lokpal, others felt this should be avoided.
A middle path was suggested by some other members who said the prime minister can be brought within the ambit of the ombudsman but with some riders like excluding his duties relating to external affairs and internal security, among
"A large mass of difficult and complex issues have been discussed threadbare," Singhvi said indicating that the committee would submit its report much ahead of the expiry of its term on December 7.
He said the committee will have two or three sittings this week and then circulate the report for adoption.
"No timelines or deadlines could be given but we are progressing satisfactorily," Singhvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing