‘Lokpal Bill to be operationally pragmatic`
New Delhi: The much-talked about Lokpal
Bill, coming up for consideration in the current session of
Parliament, will be an "operationally pragmatic" measure.
Stating this, Abhishek Singhvi, Chairman of the
Parliamentary Committee examining the key bill, said a large
mass of "difficult and complex issues" have been discussed
He told PTI that each member of the committee has been
trying to do his best to ensure a "strong and constitutionally
valid" bill and the objective was to have an "operationally
He said the committee will have two or three sittings
this week and then circulate the report for adoption.
"No timelines or deadlines could be given but we are
progressing satisfactorily," Singhvi said, indicating that the
committee would submit its report ahead of expiry of its term
on December 7.
His remarks assume significance as there have been
reports of sharp divisions in the Parliamentary panel on
bringing the office of the Prime Minister under the ambit of
While some members of the Parliamentary Standing
Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances and Law and Justice
felt that the Prime Minister should be brought under the
Lokpal, others were of the view that this should be avoided.
A middle path was suggested by some other members who
said the Prime Minister can be brought within the ambit of the
ombudsman but with some riders like excluding his duties
relating to external affairs and internal security, among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31