Lokpal drafts enjoy equal weightage: Shanti Bhush
New Delhi: Taking exception to the
government`s "comparative" analysis of the two drafts of the
Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare team on Monday asked Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee to treat both its versions as the joint
drafting committee`s outcome enjoying "equal weightage".
In a letter to Mukherjee, panel co-chair Shanti
Bhushan said since the very vision of Jan Lokpal Bill was
different in the two drafts, he thought it was a "good
decision" to treat both the drafts as the outcome of the
At the joint drafting committee meeting, he said five
members endorsed one draft whereas the other five endorsed
"Therefore, both the drafts enjoy equal weightage as
far as the outcome of the joint committee is concerned. I
would still urge you to treat both the drafts as the outcome
of the joint committee," Bhushan said.
The letter came in the backdrop of the government
releasing a comparative statement on the drafts prepared by
the government side and the Hazare team, which Bhushan alleged
did not "accurately" present the civil society views.
In the last meeting of the joint panel on June 22, the
government side and the Hazare team had "agreed to disagree"
on the provisions of Lokpal Bill and decided to present two
separate drafts which would be discussed with parties before
it was presented in the Cabinet.
Bhushan said, "This chart does not present Jan Lokpal
Bill accurately. Whereas there are inaccuracies at many
places, the sections from Jan Lokpal Bill have also not been
fully quoted at many other places. Any person reading this
chart will be completely in the dark about the provisions of
the Jan Lokpal Bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling