Lokpal drafts enjoy equal weightage: Shanti Bhush
New Delhi: Taking exception to the
government`s "comparative" analysis of the two drafts of the
Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare team on Monday asked Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee to treat both its versions as the joint
drafting committee`s outcome enjoying "equal weightage".
In a letter to Mukherjee, panel co-chair Shanti
Bhushan said since the very vision of Jan Lokpal Bill was
different in the two drafts, he thought it was a "good
decision" to treat both the drafts as the outcome of the
At the joint drafting committee meeting, he said five
members endorsed one draft whereas the other five endorsed
"Therefore, both the drafts enjoy equal weightage as
far as the outcome of the joint committee is concerned. I
would still urge you to treat both the drafts as the outcome
of the joint committee," Bhushan said.
The letter came in the backdrop of the government
releasing a comparative statement on the drafts prepared by
the government side and the Hazare team, which Bhushan alleged
did not "accurately" present the civil society views.
In the last meeting of the joint panel on June 22, the
government side and the Hazare team had "agreed to disagree"
on the provisions of Lokpal Bill and decided to present two
separate drafts which would be discussed with parties before
it was presented in the Cabinet.
Bhushan said, "This chart does not present Jan Lokpal
Bill accurately. Whereas there are inaccuracies at many
places, the sections from Jan Lokpal Bill have also not been
fully quoted at many other places. Any person reading this
chart will be completely in the dark about the provisions of
the Jan Lokpal Bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama