Lokpal: Extend Parliament session, says Anna
New Delhi: As consensus eluded political parties on Lokpal issue, Anna Hazare on Thursday said he has confidence in Parliament that it will pass the bill as
everybody in government has given his team the assurance.
However, he said if there is not enough time for deliberations on the legislation, the Winter Session of Parliament should be extended for passing Lokpal Bill.
"(There will be a consensus) in Parliament if not at all-party meeting. All MPs are there, it will be passed there...yesterday people put forward right points, some
pointed out the deficiencies.
"Everybody in the government is giving us assurances that we will get a Lokpal Bill. So we should have faith in them. But if they don`t bring it, then we will have to agitate," he said ahead of the second day of Team Anna`s Core Committee meeting.
Hazare was responding to questions on consensus eluding the all-party meeting on Lokpal Bill and apprehensions that the bill will not be passed in the ongoing Winter Session.
He also repeated his demand for extending the Winter Session of Parliament for passing Lokpal Bill if there is not enough time for deliberations on the legislation.
"It is important for the country. Earlier also, you have occasions when the Session was extended," he said, adding the venue of his proposed protest could be shifted to Mumbai depending on the weather conditions in Delhi. "If the climate is good, then it will be in Delhi," he added.
Replying to questions on the all-party meeting, Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said almost all the parties were unanimous on CBI getting autonomy.
"The key issue is the autonomy of CBI. You have the SP, BSP, Left, BJP asking for autonomy. I think the Congress view now needs to be known," she told reporters.
When pointed out that some leaders have cautioned government against rushing through the Bill, Bedi said, "Who are these parties? Not the BJP surely as Sushma Swaraj tweeted that they want it in this session. Are they managed voices,
She said the day people start trusting CBI, governance will come in.
"The parties are asking for autonomy and admitting that CBI has been abused, this is why we need Lokpal. CBI is a graveyard of corruption, it is waiting to be exhumed. That’s why there is a desperate effort to keep it protected as long
as possible," she said.
Kejriwal said it was wrong to say that there was no consensus at the all-party meeting.
"There was consensus on many things. There could be some points," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow