Lokpal - from father to son
New Delhi: Father coined the word `Lokpal`
way back in 1963 and his son now heads the Standing Committee
of Parliament which is entrusted with the job of looking into
the Lokpal Bill against corruption.
It was L M Singhvi, a young independent member of Lok
Sabha, who for the first time on April 3, 1963, while
participating in a debate suggested the word Lokpal, which was
the Indian version of "ombudsman", a Scandinavian word for a
The interesting piece of information was given in Rajya
Sabha by Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley today.
"It is a coincidence that his very distinguished son, Dr
Abhishek Manu Singhvi, now has to prepare the final draft of
"I am sure, he will keep in mind the great heritage, not
only his personal, but also of this concept, and strengthen
the Bill in order to maintain this very strong heritage as far
as this Bill is concerned," Jaitley said.
The Lokpal Bill was first introduced in 1968 by then Home
Minister Y B Chavan. Jaitley said it was even passed by the
Lok Sabha in 1969.
The concept of Lokpal was first brought out in 1966 by
Administrative Reforms Commission which recommended the
establishment of a Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill.
Jaitley said even the concept of Citizens Charter or
public grievances is not a new system. This was also a part of
the 1968 bill introduced by Chavan.
L M Singhvi was an Indian jurist and diplomat was elected
to Rajya Sabha (1998-2004) as a BJP member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir