‘Lokpal has all features of becoming apex body of graft’
New Delhi: Renowned psycho-analyst Ashis Nandy on Thursday commended Team Anna for bringing corruption to the forefront of social discourse but said he did not share a "starry-eyed optimism" about Lokpal as it has all the features of becoming an "apex body" of graft.
Delivering the 32nd Bhimsen Sachar Memorial Lecture, he said corruption has been institutionalised in India through media-management and populism and claimed that parties are trying to control voters by "buying allegiance of media".
He said there is still hope as there are many who are crusading against corruption in India.
"I admire Team Anna for bringing corruption to the forefront of India`s social struggle. Yet, I do not share its starry-eyed optimism about Lokpal. With its present features, Lokpal can itself become the apex body of corruption," Nandy said delivering a lecture on `Corruption and Censorship`.
Noting that the roots of corruption and censorship lie in the "search for control", he alleged that parties have highly paid lobbyists to "manage" the media.
He also said a prominent Chief Minister has a lobbyist in the US which is important for his political impact in India.
India was one of the world`s least corrupt societies till the 1970s, he said adding in a lighter vein, "as things look today, future of corruption is very bright in India."
"We have inherited corruption from the Raj. It is a misconception that corruption was the least during the Raj. The first Governor-General of British India, Warren Hastings, was tried for corruption in England," he said adding the thread has not been broken, more than 200 years after.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi