Lokpal: Hegde slams govt
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh
Hegde on Saturday accused the government of trying to bring in
multiple legislations by splitting provisions mooted by the
civil society group.
"There is an attempt to make multiple bills," the former
Supreme Court judge said, pointing out that the bills such
as Right to Service and Judges Accountability that are being
talked about by the government, are in fact part of
suggestions mooted by Team Anna in their draft bill.
"...that attempt is going on which is disturbing," Hegde
said and alleged that the Jan Lokpal draft is now being sought
to be bifurcated to "have an argument that we (the government)
have not rejected it...but we are bringing separate bills."
The former Karnataka Lokayukta noted that Team Anna had
included Judges Accountability Bill in its draft when it was
pending for a long time and nobody was talking about and
fighting for it, adding that the Right to Service Bill would
come under the citizen`s charter mooted by the group.
"Right now, let them (the Government) show their concern
for a strong Lokpal" which, he said, needs special attention.
Separate Right to Service and Judges Accountability bills can
come later and once they are enacted, those relevant portions
can be deleted from Lokpal.
Suggestions in some government quarters that the bill to
be introduced in the Parliament would in fact be stronger than
the one mooted by Team Anna are (only) a "good talk," and the
question is "when will that be (a stronger bill)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened