Lokpal: Hegde slams govt
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh
Hegde on Saturday accused the government of trying to bring in
multiple legislations by splitting provisions mooted by the
civil society group.
"There is an attempt to make multiple bills," the former
Supreme Court judge said, pointing out that the bills such
as Right to Service and Judges Accountability that are being
talked about by the government, are in fact part of
suggestions mooted by Team Anna in their draft bill.
"...that attempt is going on which is disturbing," Hegde
said and alleged that the Jan Lokpal draft is now being sought
to be bifurcated to "have an argument that we (the government)
have not rejected it...but we are bringing separate bills."
The former Karnataka Lokayukta noted that Team Anna had
included Judges Accountability Bill in its draft when it was
pending for a long time and nobody was talking about and
fighting for it, adding that the Right to Service Bill would
come under the citizen`s charter mooted by the group.
"Right now, let them (the Government) show their concern
for a strong Lokpal" which, he said, needs special attention.
Separate Right to Service and Judges Accountability bills can
come later and once they are enacted, those relevant portions
can be deleted from Lokpal.
Suggestions in some government quarters that the bill to
be introduced in the Parliament would in fact be stronger than
the one mooted by Team Anna are (only) a "good talk," and the
question is "when will that be (a stronger bill)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire