Lokpal: Hegde slams govt
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh
Hegde on Saturday accused the government of trying to bring in
multiple legislations by splitting provisions mooted by the
civil society group.
"There is an attempt to make multiple bills," the former
Supreme Court judge said, pointing out that the bills such
as Right to Service and Judges Accountability that are being
talked about by the government, are in fact part of
suggestions mooted by Team Anna in their draft bill.
"...that attempt is going on which is disturbing," Hegde
said and alleged that the Jan Lokpal draft is now being sought
to be bifurcated to "have an argument that we (the government)
have not rejected it...but we are bringing separate bills."
The former Karnataka Lokayukta noted that Team Anna had
included Judges Accountability Bill in its draft when it was
pending for a long time and nobody was talking about and
fighting for it, adding that the Right to Service Bill would
come under the citizen`s charter mooted by the group.
"Right now, let them (the Government) show their concern
for a strong Lokpal" which, he said, needs special attention.
Separate Right to Service and Judges Accountability bills can
come later and once they are enacted, those relevant portions
can be deleted from Lokpal.
Suggestions in some government quarters that the bill to
be introduced in the Parliament would in fact be stronger than
the one mooted by Team Anna are (only) a "good talk," and the
question is "when will that be (a stronger bill)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened