Lokpal: Hegde slams govt
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh
Hegde on Saturday accused the government of trying to bring in
multiple legislations by splitting provisions mooted by the
civil society group.
"There is an attempt to make multiple bills," the former
Supreme Court judge said, pointing out that the bills such
as Right to Service and Judges Accountability that are being
talked about by the government, are in fact part of
suggestions mooted by Team Anna in their draft bill.
"...that attempt is going on which is disturbing," Hegde
said and alleged that the Jan Lokpal draft is now being sought
to be bifurcated to "have an argument that we (the government)
have not rejected it...but we are bringing separate bills."
The former Karnataka Lokayukta noted that Team Anna had
included Judges Accountability Bill in its draft when it was
pending for a long time and nobody was talking about and
fighting for it, adding that the Right to Service Bill would
come under the citizen`s charter mooted by the group.
"Right now, let them (the Government) show their concern
for a strong Lokpal" which, he said, needs special attention.
Separate Right to Service and Judges Accountability bills can
come later and once they are enacted, those relevant portions
can be deleted from Lokpal.
Suggestions in some government quarters that the bill to
be introduced in the Parliament would in fact be stronger than
the one mooted by Team Anna are (only) a "good talk," and the
question is "when will that be (a stronger bill)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!