Lokpal must not be overburdened, says Aruna Roy
Hyderabad: Social activist Aruna Roy and Lok Satta Party President Jayaprakash Narayan on Monday said no single institution should be made responsible for making
public servants accountable.
Taking part in a conference on `Impact of Corruption on Development`, they said vesting all encompassing power and responsibility in one institution like the Lokpal will burden
it and make it difficult to carry out assigned tasks.
The meet was organised by the CPI-affiliated Progressive Forum.
Roy, a member of Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council, said the Lokpal should tackle corruption of all elected representatives, including the Prime Minister with
some safeguards, ministers, MPs and senior bureaucrats and besides those in the private and the social sector.
The Ramon Magsaysay Award winner suggested amendments in the Central Vigilance Commission Act to make the CVC independent and empowered to investigate corruption in mid-level bureaucracy and take action.
She wanted Lokayuktas to be created in states to deal with the Chief Minister, Ministers, Legislators and officials of the state.
Narayan said the proposed Lokpal Bill should provide for constitution of Lokayuktas in States and the CVC be made an integral part of the anti-corruption agency.
Measures should be initiated to ensure the independence and accountability of CBI and ACBs, the bureaucrat-turned-politician added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees