Lokpal must not be overburdened, says Aruna Roy
Hyderabad: Social activist Aruna Roy and Lok Satta Party President Jayaprakash Narayan on Monday said no single institution should be made responsible for making
public servants accountable.
Taking part in a conference on `Impact of Corruption on Development`, they said vesting all encompassing power and responsibility in one institution like the Lokpal will burden
it and make it difficult to carry out assigned tasks.
The meet was organised by the CPI-affiliated Progressive Forum.
Roy, a member of Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council, said the Lokpal should tackle corruption of all elected representatives, including the Prime Minister with
some safeguards, ministers, MPs and senior bureaucrats and besides those in the private and the social sector.
The Ramon Magsaysay Award winner suggested amendments in the Central Vigilance Commission Act to make the CVC independent and empowered to investigate corruption in mid-level bureaucracy and take action.
She wanted Lokayuktas to be created in states to deal with the Chief Minister, Ministers, Legislators and officials of the state.
Narayan said the proposed Lokpal Bill should provide for constitution of Lokayuktas in States and the CVC be made an integral part of the anti-corruption agency.
Measures should be initiated to ensure the independence and accountability of CBI and ACBs, the bureaucrat-turned-politician added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama
- Check Mahresults.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org for class 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE today at 1 PM