Lokpal selection panel row: Sushma seeks time to meet President Pranab
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: The BJP and the government are heading for another showdown - this time over the appointment of the country`s first Lokpal.
At a meeting on Monday evening, the BJP opposed in writing the appointment of senior Supreme Court lawyer PP Rao as a member of the Lokpal selection panel, a news website report said citing sources.
Swaraj has now sought time from President Pranab Mukherjee for a meeting, pleading for his intervention to bring about unanimity in the appointment of the panel member.
Rao`s name was proposed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
At the meeting last evening, BJP leader and the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj opposed Rao`s name but her view was voted down 3-1. PM Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Justice HL Dattu, who has been nominated by Chief Justice P Sathasivam to represent him on the committee, voted in favour of Rao.
Under the provisions of the Lokpal Bill, a committee involving the PM, the Lok Sabha Speaker, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India or his nominee, and a fifth member - a judge – selected by the rest of the panel will select the Lokpal and his team.
As per sources, Swaraj opposed Rao`s appointment describing him as a "Congress loyalist". She contended that Rao had represented the Congress in courts many times.
The BJP leader instead forwarded the names of former attorney general K Parasaran, former solicitor general Harish Salve and eminent jurist Fali Nariman for selection as a fifth member of the Lokpal selection panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly