`Lokpal to get Constitutional status at last`
New Delhi: Dismissing suggestions that Rahul Gandhi`s idea of giving constitutional status to Lokpal Bill was a delaying tactic by the Congress, the ruling party
made it clear that it was for the collective wisdom of the
Standing Committee and Parliament to accept the proposal.
"Party supports Rahul Gandhi`s idea. Incorporating
it in the bill will not take much time nor involve any
technicalities," Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi
told reporters here.
He said that only one line proposal of including the
Lokpal in the list of institutions having Constitutional
status needed to be added in the proposed bill if Parliament
"It is for the collective wisdom of the Standing
Committee and the Parliament to accept it," Dwivedi added.
Echoing similar views, party spokesperson Abhishek
Singhvi said at the AICC briefing that giving constitutional
status will be the "ultimate destination" but that does not
prevent Lokpal to be a statutory body for the time being.
It asserted that Congress has made its stand clear through
Gandhi that it would like Lokpal to be even more stronger in
the shape of a constitutional body.
He dismissed opposition allegation that Gandhi`s idea
was a tactic to delay the process.
Asked whether Gandhi`s suggestion would be considered
by the Parliamentary Standing Committee which is headed
by him, Singhvi said that all kinds of suggestions and views
are important for standing committee and they will look
into them with equal importance.
He said Congress has resolved to enact a strong Lokpal
legislation and Gandhi has expressed the resolve for even a
"more elevated" body by giving it a constitutional status
which is "our ultimate endeavour".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview