`Lokpal to get Constitutional status at last`
New Delhi: Dismissing suggestions that Rahul Gandhi`s idea of giving constitutional status to Lokpal Bill was a delaying tactic by the Congress, the ruling party
made it clear that it was for the collective wisdom of the
Standing Committee and Parliament to accept the proposal.
"Party supports Rahul Gandhi`s idea. Incorporating
it in the bill will not take much time nor involve any
technicalities," Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi
told reporters here.
He said that only one line proposal of including the
Lokpal in the list of institutions having Constitutional
status needed to be added in the proposed bill if Parliament
"It is for the collective wisdom of the Standing
Committee and the Parliament to accept it," Dwivedi added.
Echoing similar views, party spokesperson Abhishek
Singhvi said at the AICC briefing that giving constitutional
status will be the "ultimate destination" but that does not
prevent Lokpal to be a statutory body for the time being.
It asserted that Congress has made its stand clear through
Gandhi that it would like Lokpal to be even more stronger in
the shape of a constitutional body.
He dismissed opposition allegation that Gandhi`s idea
was a tactic to delay the process.
Asked whether Gandhi`s suggestion would be considered
by the Parliamentary Standing Committee which is headed
by him, Singhvi said that all kinds of suggestions and views
are important for standing committee and they will look
into them with equal importance.
He said Congress has resolved to enact a strong Lokpal
legislation and Gandhi has expressed the resolve for even a
"more elevated" body by giving it a constitutional status
which is "our ultimate endeavour".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion