Lokpal was Congress` idea: Janardan Dwivedi
Jaipur: Favouring a strong Lokpal Bill, Congress on Saturday claimed it was the party`s idea for creating the anti-corruption ombudsman even before Anna Hazare`s agitation on the issue.
"Congress has a firm stand over the issue. The party is
in favour of a strong Lokpal bill," party general secretary
and media in-charge Janardan Dwivedi told reporters here.
"There has to be wide acceptance on issues like Lokpal
which are of national importance, and decision on such issues
in democracy is taken by Parliament. Congress is not rigid on
any issue and asking for consensus on the issue," he said.
It was Congress` thought of bringing a strong Lokpal
prior to Hazare`s agitation, he claimed.
On FDI in retail sector, Dwivedi said the government
took the decision after lot of thinking, but it was put on
hold following negative reactions from various quarters.
However, he added, it does not mean that the idea of FDI
"FDI has many benefits for both farmers and consumers.
It should have some safeguard and conditions so that interests
of farmers and consumers are not neglected...if the decision
is implemented with such safeguards then there should be no
objection," he said.
The Congress leader, when asked, said that Rahul Gandhi
has to decide as to when he will take charge of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery