Longewala victory remembered
Jaisalmer: Fighter jets and combat helicopters firing at mock enemy targets in the desert landscape of the Thar desert here celebrated India`s historic Longewala victory over Pakistan in 1971.
Senior defence officials and war veterans took part in the celebrations of the Battle of Longewala yesterday.
The battle was among the first major engagements in the Western Sector during the Indo-Pak war of 1971, fought at the Indian border post of Longewala, in the Thar Desert of the Rajasthan.
Battle scenes were recreated and fighter jets performed manoeuvres in the show during the event.
Air Marshal (Retd) M S Bawa, under whose leadership the counter operation was launched, said that he had received information that Pakistani tanks and armoured vehicles were on their way to the border post on December 4, 1971 and had decided to act quickly.
Before dawn, four Hunter aircrafts launched an attack on the Pakistani tanks. This is the second highest record of tanks destroyed in air combat operation after World War-II, he said.
Air Marshal P S Bhangu of South-Western Command were among other officers who were present at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25