Longewala victory remembered
Jaisalmer: Fighter jets and combat helicopters firing at mock enemy targets in the desert landscape of the Thar desert here celebrated India`s historic Longewala victory over Pakistan in 1971.
Senior defence officials and war veterans took part in the celebrations of the Battle of Longewala yesterday.
The battle was among the first major engagements in the Western Sector during the Indo-Pak war of 1971, fought at the Indian border post of Longewala, in the Thar Desert of the Rajasthan.
Battle scenes were recreated and fighter jets performed manoeuvres in the show during the event.
Air Marshal (Retd) M S Bawa, under whose leadership the counter operation was launched, said that he had received information that Pakistani tanks and armoured vehicles were on their way to the border post on December 4, 1971 and had decided to act quickly.
Before dawn, four Hunter aircrafts launched an attack on the Pakistani tanks. This is the second highest record of tanks destroyed in air combat operation after World War-II, he said.
Air Marshal P S Bhangu of South-Western Command were among other officers who were present at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Watch: Sun-powered Solar Impulse 2 lands in Pennsylvania!
- Indian Premier League 2016, Qualifier 2: Gujarat Lions vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Preview
- Beware, workaholics: Excessive working may elevate depression, anxiety
- Sidharth, Alia perfect for 'Aashiqui 3': Mukesh Bhatt
- Domestic black money window will ensure peace of mind: IT dept