`Looking if more checks needed before MIG-27 ready to fly`
New Delhi: Over a month after they were
grounded, a major chunk of IAF`s MiG-27 fighter jet fleet was
still not flying as only the trainer version of the aircraft
have been cleared for operations, Air Chief Marshal PV Naik
"As far as MiG-27s are concerned, the trainer version is
still flying as it has a different engine. As far as other
engines are concerned, we are going into more details as
whether any more checks are required or it is ready to fly,"
he told reporters here.
The IAF had grounded its entire MiG-27 aircraft fleet for
checks following a crash in February near Hashimara in which
an ace fighter pilot was killed.
It had also ordered examination of the aircraft following
preliminary report of the Court of Inquiry suggesting that the
mishap could have taken place due to failure of "low pressure
turbine blades", a problem tackled only at the overhaul or
fourth line servicing stage.
The IAF flies around 160 MiG-27 swing-wing aircraft, used
for both air-to-air and ground attacks in eight of the
existing 33.5 squadrons.
Asked if there was a need to increase the patrolling in
the Gulf of Aden in view of increased incidents of piracy
there, he said, "We should protect our assets. At what scale,
that we have to sit and decide."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah