Loudspeaker announcements failed to halt Uttarbanga Exp
Sainthia: Authorities at Sainthia
station made frantic announcements over loudspeakers to the
driver of the Uttarbanga Express moments before it tore into
the Vananchal Express here today.
"We announced repeatedly over loudspeakers asking the
driver of the Uttarbanga Express to brake as the Vananchal
Express was just starting to leave platform number four,"
Assistant station master of Sainthia Pulak Chakraborty told
Chakraborty said that the Uttarbanga Express entered
the station at a high speed on the same track as the Vananchal
Express although the `home signal` was not given.
The Uttarbanga Express, which was to halt at the
station, entered at a high speed and collided on the rear of
the Vananchal Express with a loud bang, Salam Sheik, a hawker,
"We ran for safety at first, but returned to help with
the rescue operations," he said.
A cabinman, who preferred anonymity, said that the
Uttarbanga Express driver was at fault.
After the collision, tinned condiments, gutkha
pouches, plastic bangles, plastic torchlights, mineral water
bottles, scarfs and towels were found strewn on the platform
and the tracks.
Three motorbikes, wrapped in jute bags, were also
lying on the tracks.
Eyewitnesses claimed that these were being unloaded
from the vendor compartments of the Vananchal Express, which
was already running five hours late.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them