`Low-cost` limbs for blast victims?
New Delhi: Are victims of bomb blasts and
terrorist activists given only "low cost" artificial limbs
The issue has been highlighted by Central Information
Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi in a letter written to Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad asking for "good treatment" for
victims of bomb blasts and terror acts.
Citing the case of an RTI activist Harish Kumar whose
lower left leg was amputated after being injured in the Delhi
High Court Bomb blast of September 7, Gandhi said officials of
Ram Mahohar Lohia Hospital have informed him that Kumar would
be getting only "low-cost artificial limb".
"I feel we will all recognise that the nation owes good
treatment to victims of bomb blasts and such other terrorist
attacks," Gandhi wrote asking for Union Health Minister`s
intervention in ensuring "best artificial limbs" available in
government facilities for them.
Gandhi also said during a visit to the hospital, he
realised that Kumar is being treated like "any person" who
"Two months in a General ward in the hospital is taking
some toll on him and his request to be transferred to the
Nursing Hospital is not being considered.
"The Medical Superintendent informed me that whereas
Nursing Home is available free of cost to CGHS patients, Mr
Harish Kumar will have to pay for the room and all treatment,
if he was to be shifted to Nursing Home," Gandhi wrote on
Harish Kumar, a resident of Azadpur, got severely injured
in the Delhi High Court bomb blast. During surgery his lower
left leg was amputated and he is still under treatment at the
Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital`s trauma centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town