`Low-cost` limbs for blast victims?
New Delhi: Are victims of bomb blasts and
terrorist activists given only "low cost" artificial limbs
The issue has been highlighted by Central Information
Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi in a letter written to Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad asking for "good treatment" for
victims of bomb blasts and terror acts.
Citing the case of an RTI activist Harish Kumar whose
lower left leg was amputated after being injured in the Delhi
High Court Bomb blast of September 7, Gandhi said officials of
Ram Mahohar Lohia Hospital have informed him that Kumar would
be getting only "low-cost artificial limb".
"I feel we will all recognise that the nation owes good
treatment to victims of bomb blasts and such other terrorist
attacks," Gandhi wrote asking for Union Health Minister`s
intervention in ensuring "best artificial limbs" available in
government facilities for them.
Gandhi also said during a visit to the hospital, he
realised that Kumar is being treated like "any person" who
"Two months in a General ward in the hospital is taking
some toll on him and his request to be transferred to the
Nursing Hospital is not being considered.
"The Medical Superintendent informed me that whereas
Nursing Home is available free of cost to CGHS patients, Mr
Harish Kumar will have to pay for the room and all treatment,
if he was to be shifted to Nursing Home," Gandhi wrote on
Harish Kumar, a resident of Azadpur, got severely injured
in the Delhi High Court bomb blast. During surgery his lower
left leg was amputated and he is still under treatment at the
Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital`s trauma centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened