Low turnout of urban voters is shameful: CEC
Chandigarh: "If you don`t vote you have no
business to crib on formation of government," Chief Election
Commissioner SY Quraishi said on Tuesday while terming as
"shameful" the low turnout of urban voters in the country.
Voicing serious concern over apathy of urban and youths
towards exercising their right to franchise, the CEC said the
issue needs to be addressed urgently.
"Youth and urban voters don`t turn out for casting their
votes...but if you (voter) don`t vote you have no business to
crib on formation of government," Quraishi told reporters
after meeting with different political parties of Punjab here.
He said that it "was embarrassing and shameful that urban
voters don`t turn up for voting in large numbers."
He said that the EC would start a campaign for ethical
voting during elections.
He urged voters to file complaints with the commission if
they are bribed by any political party to cast vote in its
Expressing concern over paid news, he said that the
commission had set up district and state level monitoring
committees to keep a watch on them and if it finds such a
case notice is served to the candidate.
"In Bihar polls, 100 such notices on paid news were served
to candidates," he said.
He said that around 95 per cent people of media are upset
with the concept of paid news. "Journalists are against paid
news, if not owners," he added.
He was averse to on-line voting system saying that in
such a case hacking is possible.
Earlier, the commission had meeting with five political
parties of Punjab besides, top administrative and police brass
on the election preparedness in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic