Low turnout of urban voters is shameful: CEC
Chandigarh: "If you don`t vote you have no
business to crib on formation of government," Chief Election
Commissioner SY Quraishi said on Tuesday while terming as
"shameful" the low turnout of urban voters in the country.
Voicing serious concern over apathy of urban and youths
towards exercising their right to franchise, the CEC said the
issue needs to be addressed urgently.
"Youth and urban voters don`t turn out for casting their
votes...but if you (voter) don`t vote you have no business to
crib on formation of government," Quraishi told reporters
after meeting with different political parties of Punjab here.
He said that it "was embarrassing and shameful that urban
voters don`t turn up for voting in large numbers."
He said that the EC would start a campaign for ethical
voting during elections.
He urged voters to file complaints with the commission if
they are bribed by any political party to cast vote in its
Expressing concern over paid news, he said that the
commission had set up district and state level monitoring
committees to keep a watch on them and if it finds such a
case notice is served to the candidate.
"In Bihar polls, 100 such notices on paid news were served
to candidates," he said.
He said that around 95 per cent people of media are upset
with the concept of paid news. "Journalists are against paid
news, if not owners," he added.
He was averse to on-line voting system saying that in
such a case hacking is possible.
Earlier, the commission had meeting with five political
parties of Punjab besides, top administrative and police brass
on the election preparedness in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video