Low turnout of urban voters is shameful: CEC
Chandigarh: "If you don`t vote you have no
business to crib on formation of government," Chief Election
Commissioner SY Quraishi said on Tuesday while terming as
"shameful" the low turnout of urban voters in the country.
Voicing serious concern over apathy of urban and youths
towards exercising their right to franchise, the CEC said the
issue needs to be addressed urgently.
"Youth and urban voters don`t turn out for casting their
votes...but if you (voter) don`t vote you have no business to
crib on formation of government," Quraishi told reporters
after meeting with different political parties of Punjab here.
He said that it "was embarrassing and shameful that urban
voters don`t turn up for voting in large numbers."
He said that the EC would start a campaign for ethical
voting during elections.
He urged voters to file complaints with the commission if
they are bribed by any political party to cast vote in its
Expressing concern over paid news, he said that the
commission had set up district and state level monitoring
committees to keep a watch on them and if it finds such a
case notice is served to the candidate.
"In Bihar polls, 100 such notices on paid news were served
to candidates," he said.
He said that around 95 per cent people of media are upset
with the concept of paid news. "Journalists are against paid
news, if not owners," he added.
He was averse to on-line voting system saying that in
such a case hacking is possible.
Earlier, the commission had meeting with five political
parties of Punjab besides, top administrative and police brass
on the election preparedness in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter