Loyal bureaucrats being made info commissioners: SC
New Delhi: "Loyal" bureaucrats are being appointed as information commissioners at the Centre and state transparency panels, the Supreme Court observed on Thursday, saying it`s order for judicial members in the Commissions would make them independent and free from government influence.
"The Right to Information Act has no doubt done good work but due to infirmities in it, a lot of damage has been done. It has to be rectified," a bench of justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar said.
They were referring to the provision of the Act pertaining to the eligibility criteria for a person to be appointed as Information Commissioner.
"It would be good if independent person with legal background is appointed in the commission and not only the retired bureaucrats who are loyal to the government," the bench said.
The Court was hearing Centre`s plea seeking review of its judgement ruling that people from judicial background should also be appointed as members of the Central and state information commissions and only sitting or retired chief justices of high courts or a Supreme Court judge can head the commissions.
The Centre, however, contested the view that only loyal bureaucrats are appointed. The Attorney General G E Vahanwati said no such criteria is followed for these appointments and referred the case of the Comptroller & Auditor General of India Vinod Rai, who was earlier a bureaucrat.
He further submitted that the apex court verdict is wrong as it can not rewrite a law which is a function of legislative body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical