LS adjourned twice after uproar over Quota Bill
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Wednesday witnessed repeated uproar before the quota in promotion bill was to be taken up for consideration, with the Samajwadi Party members storming the Well in protest against the measure.
The House also saw noisy scenes over demands by women opposition members seeking adequate protection to women in the backdrop of the barbaric incident of rape on a 23-year old girl in Delhi on Sunday.
Members from Shiv Sena and BJP from Maharashtra were also in the Well raising slogans for increasing cotton prices to Rs 6,000 per quintal and other measures to prevent suicides by cotton-growers.
As Lok Sabha reassembled at noon after an adjournment soon after Question Hour began, SP members trooped into the Well raising slogans against the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill, which provides for quota in promotions for SCs and STs in government jobs.
The Bill, which was passed by Rajya Sabha on Monday, is listed in the Lok Sabha for consideration and passing today.
The SP members raised slogans like "promotion mein aarakshan, nahi chalega, nahi chalega (we do not want reservation in promotions)".
They were followed by women MPs belonging to Shiv Sena, Akali Dal, JD(U) and BJP demanding protection for women against growing atrocities. Shiv Sena and BJP members from Maharashtra, carrying placards and raising slogans, also joined them in the Well.
After ordering laying of the papers, Speaker Meira Kumar said atrocities against women was "a serious issue and I too want a discussion on it" and asked the women members to give a notice so that it can be discussed.
Kumar then adjourned the House till 2 PM as the uproar continued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof