LS adjourns after tributes to sitting MP
New Delhi: Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day on Friday after condoling the death of sitting member Mukesh Gadhvi.
Gadhvi, a first term Congress member from Banaskantha in Gujarat, breathed his last in Ahmedabad this morning. He was 50.
He was a member of Gujarat Assembly for three terms from 1998-2009.
"An active social and political worker, he promoted the cause of education, particularly of the girl child," Speaker Meira Kumar said in her obituary reference as soon as the Lok Sabha met for the day.
The House also mourned the loss of lives in a major fire that broke out in a market in Kolkata on Wednesday.
Members observed silence for a while as a mark of respect to the memory of the departed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj