LS adjourns after tributes to sitting MP
New Delhi: Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day on Friday after condoling the death of sitting member Mukesh Gadhvi.
Gadhvi, a first term Congress member from Banaskantha in Gujarat, breathed his last in Ahmedabad this morning. He was 50.
He was a member of Gujarat Assembly for three terms from 1998-2009.
"An active social and political worker, he promoted the cause of education, particularly of the girl child," Speaker Meira Kumar said in her obituary reference as soon as the Lok Sabha met for the day.
The House also mourned the loss of lives in a major fire that broke out in a market in Kolkata on Wednesday.
Members observed silence for a while as a mark of respect to the memory of the departed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees