LS adjourns after tributes to sitting MP
New Delhi: Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day on Friday after condoling the death of sitting member Mukesh Gadhvi.
Gadhvi, a first term Congress member from Banaskantha in Gujarat, breathed his last in Ahmedabad this morning. He was 50.
He was a member of Gujarat Assembly for three terms from 1998-2009.
"An active social and political worker, he promoted the cause of education, particularly of the girl child," Speaker Meira Kumar said in her obituary reference as soon as the Lok Sabha met for the day.
The House also mourned the loss of lives in a major fire that broke out in a market in Kolkata on Wednesday.
Members observed silence for a while as a mark of respect to the memory of the departed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!
- Sensex opens in green on renewed buying; up 58 points
- 10 killed as bus falls into canal in Telangana's Khammam