LS disruption: Tewari wants no pay for no work
New Delhi: Congress spokesman Manish Tewari has written to Lok Sabha secretary general that he should not be given the daily allowance on days when the house does not transact any business due to disruptions.
Tewari, an MP from Ludhiana, said he felt that it was unethical on the part of MPs to take an allowance without doing any work.
"I feel it is unethical to take money without work," Tewari said here.
He said lawmakers should be accountable towards people. The MP allowance was recently hiked from Rs.1,000 to Rs.2,000 per day.
The MP Monday took a dig at the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for stalling the proceedings of the parliament over its demand for a joint parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum issue.
He said the MPs who stall proceedings should not take allowance on the days they do not work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam