LS disruption: Tewari wants no pay for no work
New Delhi: Congress spokesman Manish Tewari has written to Lok Sabha secretary general that he should not be given the daily allowance on days when the house does not transact any business due to disruptions.
Tewari, an MP from Ludhiana, said he felt that it was unethical on the part of MPs to take an allowance without doing any work.
"I feel it is unethical to take money without work," Tewari said here.
He said lawmakers should be accountable towards people. The MP allowance was recently hiked from Rs.1,000 to Rs.2,000 per day.
The MP Monday took a dig at the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for stalling the proceedings of the parliament over its demand for a joint parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum issue.
He said the MPs who stall proceedings should not take allowance on the days they do not work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore