LS nod to Bill for national importance status on youth institute
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha on Monday presented a picture of sportsmanship.
Every issue the Opposition sought to raise on the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development Bill-2011, had already been considered and changes incorporated in the legislation by the government.
The amended Bill, which seeks to declare the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Kanchipuram, as an institution of national importance, was passed unanimously by a voice vote after a brief discussion.
The existing institute at Sriperumbudur was set up in 1993 with the objective of undertaking advanced study in youth related activities. In 2011, the report of the Mentor Group of the Ministry of Youth Affairs recommended conversion of the existing institute into an institution of national importance.
As Kirti Azad (BJP) raised the issue of setting up an Academic Council and Financial Council for the institute as suggested by the Mentor Group, Youth Affairs Minister Ajay Maken got up to state that these issues were already addressed in the Amendments moved by the government, which the member may not have seen.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj was also heard prompting Azad saying the issues have been addressed in the Amendments which have been circulated earlier.
Similar scenes were repeated when Azad sought to raise the issue of the composition of the Executive Council, Academic Council and the Finance Committee, prompting the BJP member to curtail his speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof