LS Speaker cancels Parliamentary delegation visits to S Africa, Namibia
New Delhi: In the wake of the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday cancelled the visit of an Indian parliamentary delegation led by her to South Africa and her own trip to Namibia to attend a Commonwealth Speakers conference.
"Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has called off the proposed visit of an Indian parliamentary delegation to South Africa scheduled from January 6-10, 2013 on the invitation of the Speaker of the National Assembly of Parliament of South Africa," the Lok Sabha Secretariat said in a statement.
Kumar was to lead this delegation.
The statement said Kumar has also cancelled her visit to Namibia to attend the Standing Committee Meeting of the Commonwealth Speakers and Presiding Officers Conference which was scheduled to be held from January 10-13.
"The Lok Sabha Speaker`s decision comes in the wake of the recent developments following the sad demise of the brave young girl who was victim to a most heinous crime in a moving bus in South Delhi and the public outcry following the incident," her office said.
Kumar organised an all-religion prayer meet in Parliament on December 31 to mourn her death.
The traditional New Year get-together of officers and staff of the Lok Sabha Secretariat in which the Lok Sabha Speaker is the chief guest was also cancelled on her directions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read