LS Speaker cancels Parliamentary delegation visits to S Africa, Namibia
New Delhi: In the wake of the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday cancelled the visit of an Indian parliamentary delegation led by her to South Africa and her own trip to Namibia to attend a Commonwealth Speakers conference.
"Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has called off the proposed visit of an Indian parliamentary delegation to South Africa scheduled from January 6-10, 2013 on the invitation of the Speaker of the National Assembly of Parliament of South Africa," the Lok Sabha Secretariat said in a statement.
Kumar was to lead this delegation.
The statement said Kumar has also cancelled her visit to Namibia to attend the Standing Committee Meeting of the Commonwealth Speakers and Presiding Officers Conference which was scheduled to be held from January 10-13.
"The Lok Sabha Speaker`s decision comes in the wake of the recent developments following the sad demise of the brave young girl who was victim to a most heinous crime in a moving bus in South Delhi and the public outcry following the incident," her office said.
Kumar organised an all-religion prayer meet in Parliament on December 31 to mourn her death.
The traditional New Year get-together of officers and staff of the Lok Sabha Secretariat in which the Lok Sabha Speaker is the chief guest was also cancelled on her directions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers