LS Speaker concerned over non-functioning of Parliament
New Delhi: With the Monsoon Session of Parliament coming to an end after most of its sittings washed out over the coal issue, a concerned Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said some "forms of dissent" were leaving her disturbed.
"Parliament has not functioned and it has made me very sad. In our democracy, sometimes there are forms of dissent which disturb us," she said soon after the Monsoon Session was adjourned sine die.
At the same time, Kumar hoped that a solution to the logjam between the UPA and the NDA would be found soon and Parliament will function smoothly in the Winter Session.
"...We are all staunch believers in the functioning democracy of our country and I am very hopeful that a solution will be found, situation will normalise and Parliament will function," the Speaker said.
The Monsoon session, the second-worst since the 2009 general elections, functioned only six out of 19 days. It was paralysed for remaining period due to the stand-off between the government and the BJP over the controversial coal block allocation issue with the main opposition party remaining unrelenting on its demand for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Prior to this, the Winter Session of 2010 witnessed a complete washout due to the Opposition demand for setting up of a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre