LS Speaker concerned over non-functioning of Parliament
New Delhi: With the Monsoon Session of Parliament coming to an end after most of its sittings washed out over the coal issue, a concerned Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said some "forms of dissent" were leaving her disturbed.
"Parliament has not functioned and it has made me very sad. In our democracy, sometimes there are forms of dissent which disturb us," she said soon after the Monsoon Session was adjourned sine die.
At the same time, Kumar hoped that a solution to the logjam between the UPA and the NDA would be found soon and Parliament will function smoothly in the Winter Session.
"...We are all staunch believers in the functioning democracy of our country and I am very hopeful that a solution will be found, situation will normalise and Parliament will function," the Speaker said.
The Monsoon session, the second-worst since the 2009 general elections, functioned only six out of 19 days. It was paralysed for remaining period due to the stand-off between the government and the BJP over the controversial coal block allocation issue with the main opposition party remaining unrelenting on its demand for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Prior to this, the Winter Session of 2010 witnessed a complete washout due to the Opposition demand for setting up of a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp