LS Speaker for consensus on Women`s Reservation Bill
Chennai: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday
said all political parties and government should arrive at a
consensus and take a decision on the long-pending Women`s
"The opinions are at present divided. And I have to be
neutral. All parties should arrive at a consensus and take a
decision," she told reporters here on the sidelines of the
convocation at SRM University.
The Bill, to reserve 33 per cent of seats in Parliament
and assemblies for women, has been hanging fire for a long
time due to sharp differences among political parties.
To a question allowing Union Fertilisers Minister M K
Azagri to speak in Tamil in Parliament, she said there were 16
interpreters in Lok Shaba for different languages, including
Tamil. "As per the Constitution, the Parliament proceedings
should be conducted only in English and Hindi," she said,
adding Alagiri should meet her to sort out the issue.
"I told him (Azagiri) to come and meet me. If he meets me
we will find solution," she said.
Azhagiri, son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi and a
first-time MP representing Madurai, has already said he would
meet the Speaker on his next trip to Delhi.
On MPs` absentism, she said there was improvement now. "I
had been telling the members to come and attend and not to
absent themselves especially when they have questions. I find
a little improvement now. In any case I think you would find
some more improvement in the 15th Lok Sabha," she said.
Kumar said Parliament proceedings were being run
comparatively smoother than earlier. "If time is lost,
honourable members will sit late for many hours."
Asked whether MPs would be `forced` to attend
Parliament, she said "There is a different between a student
and MPs, who are elected by 10-12 lakh people. They have
tremendous pressure. They are responsible people because
people have elected them. People will not elect
She said she would use her powers to persuade more MPs
to attend the parliament regularly.
Earlier, in her convocation address, Kumar said no
nation could progress if half of its women population is not
provided with adequate opportunities to participate in the
"You have to guard against social evils like gender
discrimination, dowry system, domestic violence and female
foeticide," she said.
Kumar asked the youngsters to be able to motivate
others by inculcating in them the need to overcome centuries
old prejudices which have no room or relevance in today`s
"You must have an inclusive approach to life. Today
the ground reality is that there is a social chasm on the
basis of the caste, creed class, gender, geography and
She advised the graduates to use the knowledge and
expertise they gained for the well being of the common man.
In all 4,519 students from 86 disciplines were awarded
undergraduate, post graduate and diploma certificates, at the
convocation. Nine students received their doctorates.
Prashantha Battacharya of B.Tech Computer science was
awarded the Corporation Bank’s Gold Medal for the best
University Chancellor T R Pachamuthu presided over the
convocation and Vice-chancellor P Sathyanarayanan presented
the annual report of the University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22