LS Speaker for strict punishment to those ostracising rape victims
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday pitched for steps to help rape survivors recover from the trauma and slammed the tendency to ostracise the victims, saying those found indulging in such discrimination should get strict punishment.
Inaugurating a seminar on `Gender justice and responsive governance` here, Kumar said whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, while everyone seeks immediate arrest of the culprits, it is imperative to help the victim recover from mental trauma and restore her self-confidence.
"Instances have also come to notice when it becomes difficult for the victim to attend school or college. At times, she is rusticated from the institution. If she is working, she is removed from the job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracise her," she said.
Expressing serious concern on such incidents, Kumar called for strict punishment for those who attribute wrongdoings to rape victim and her family.
She felt that the women welfare officers posted at the district level should be assigned the responsibility of supporting the victim in all public places. They should also make arrangements for rehabilitation of the suffering family.
The Speaker observed that the Indian society has been influenced by strict patriarchal norms for centuries due to which women have been facing impediments in enjoying their rights.
Several women belonging to the deprived and under privileged sections of society in remote areas, villages and cities have been subjected to sexual assault. During 2011, nearly 2.28 lakh incidents of crimes against women were reported in the country, she noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!