LS Speaker for strict punishment to those ostracising rape victims
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday pitched for steps to help rape survivors recover from the trauma and slammed the tendency to ostracise the victims, saying those found indulging in such discrimination should get strict punishment.
Inaugurating a seminar on `Gender justice and responsive governance` here, Kumar said whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, while everyone seeks immediate arrest of the culprits, it is imperative to help the victim recover from mental trauma and restore her self-confidence.
"Instances have also come to notice when it becomes difficult for the victim to attend school or college. At times, she is rusticated from the institution. If she is working, she is removed from the job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracise her," she said.
Expressing serious concern on such incidents, Kumar called for strict punishment for those who attribute wrongdoings to rape victim and her family.
She felt that the women welfare officers posted at the district level should be assigned the responsibility of supporting the victim in all public places. They should also make arrangements for rehabilitation of the suffering family.
The Speaker observed that the Indian society has been influenced by strict patriarchal norms for centuries due to which women have been facing impediments in enjoying their rights.
Several women belonging to the deprived and under privileged sections of society in remote areas, villages and cities have been subjected to sexual assault. During 2011, nearly 2.28 lakh incidents of crimes against women were reported in the country, she noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP