LS Speaker for strict punishment to those ostracising rape victims
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday pitched for steps to help rape survivors recover from the trauma and slammed the tendency to ostracise the victims, saying those found indulging in such discrimination should get strict punishment.
Inaugurating a seminar on `Gender justice and responsive governance` here, Kumar said whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, while everyone seeks immediate arrest of the culprits, it is imperative to help the victim recover from mental trauma and restore her self-confidence.
"Instances have also come to notice when it becomes difficult for the victim to attend school or college. At times, she is rusticated from the institution. If she is working, she is removed from the job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracise her," she said.
Expressing serious concern on such incidents, Kumar called for strict punishment for those who attribute wrongdoings to rape victim and her family.
She felt that the women welfare officers posted at the district level should be assigned the responsibility of supporting the victim in all public places. They should also make arrangements for rehabilitation of the suffering family.
The Speaker observed that the Indian society has been influenced by strict patriarchal norms for centuries due to which women have been facing impediments in enjoying their rights.
Several women belonging to the deprived and under privileged sections of society in remote areas, villages and cities have been subjected to sexual assault. During 2011, nearly 2.28 lakh incidents of crimes against women were reported in the country, she noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up