LS Speaker lashes out at critics of democracy
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Wednesday lashed out at those who criticise the functioning of
Indian democracy and seek change, asserting this is the only
democracy that provides a "level playing" field for everyone.
"What system do you want to bring. Has human mind
discovered a better system. This is only democracy which
creates a level playing field for everyone," she said while
releasing a book on late President R Venkataraman here.
The Speaker said this while condemning people "who I have
heard of saying what is this democracy... things don`t move,
the system should change".
"I shudder to think what India would be if it was not a
democracy," she said while describing the "great contribution"
made by Venkataraman to strengthen the pillars of Indian
"It is love for democracy is what made him my father
figure," she said.
Observing that the country`s democratic set up has
evolved and strengthened over the years, she said countries
across the world also hail with "great admiration" India`s
"Whenever I go to these countries, all of them without
fail tell me how impressed they are with India which has been
able to strengthen its democracy despite its complexities and
Kumar in this regard, especially sought to refer to some
of the countries in Asia and Africa who gained independence
along with India but have either weakened or have failed as a
state over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video