LS Speaker lashes out at critics of democracy
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Wednesday lashed out at those who criticise the functioning of
Indian democracy and seek change, asserting this is the only
democracy that provides a "level playing" field for everyone.
"What system do you want to bring. Has human mind
discovered a better system. This is only democracy which
creates a level playing field for everyone," she said while
releasing a book on late President R Venkataraman here.
The Speaker said this while condemning people "who I have
heard of saying what is this democracy... things don`t move,
the system should change".
"I shudder to think what India would be if it was not a
democracy," she said while describing the "great contribution"
made by Venkataraman to strengthen the pillars of Indian
"It is love for democracy is what made him my father
figure," she said.
Observing that the country`s democratic set up has
evolved and strengthened over the years, she said countries
across the world also hail with "great admiration" India`s
"Whenever I go to these countries, all of them without
fail tell me how impressed they are with India which has been
able to strengthen its democracy despite its complexities and
Kumar in this regard, especially sought to refer to some
of the countries in Asia and Africa who gained independence
along with India but have either weakened or have failed as a
state over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP