LS Speaker lashes out at critics of democracy
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Wednesday lashed out at those who criticise the functioning of
Indian democracy and seek change, asserting this is the only
democracy that provides a "level playing" field for everyone.
"What system do you want to bring. Has human mind
discovered a better system. This is only democracy which
creates a level playing field for everyone," she said while
releasing a book on late President R Venkataraman here.
The Speaker said this while condemning people "who I have
heard of saying what is this democracy... things don`t move,
the system should change".
"I shudder to think what India would be if it was not a
democracy," she said while describing the "great contribution"
made by Venkataraman to strengthen the pillars of Indian
"It is love for democracy is what made him my father
figure," she said.
Observing that the country`s democratic set up has
evolved and strengthened over the years, she said countries
across the world also hail with "great admiration" India`s
"Whenever I go to these countries, all of them without
fail tell me how impressed they are with India which has been
able to strengthen its democracy despite its complexities and
Kumar in this regard, especially sought to refer to some
of the countries in Asia and Africa who gained independence
along with India but have either weakened or have failed as a
state over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16