LS Speaker Meira Kumar calls all-party meet
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will meet leaders of all political parties on Wednesday to ensure the ``smooth functioning`` of the House during the Winter Session of Parliament.
Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj, Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, RJD chief Lalu Prasad, Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee and DMK leader TR Baalu have been invited to the meeting.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and his deputy in the ministry, V Narayansamy will also be present during the meeting.
Expressing concern over the frequent stalling of proceedings in the Lok Sabha, Kumar said, those who frequently disturb the House constitute approximately four per cent of the total strength of the House.
"The disruption of the proceedings is in essence tantamount to violation of the rights of 96 per cent of the members, who want the House to function smoothly," she added.
The Winter Session of the Parliament will commence on November 9.
US President Barack Obama is scheduled to address the members in a joint session of both the Houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'