LS Speaker to hold all-party meet on Feb 20
New Delhi: With Opposition poised to attack the government on a host of issues, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has convened an all-party meeting on Wednesday to ensure smooth functioning of the Budget Session of Parliament starting on February 21.
The Speaker will be meeting leaders of all parliamentary parties a day before the three-month-long session starts, Parliament sources said.
The session is expected to be tumultuous with the Opposition all set to attack the government on a number of issues including the VVIP chopper deal.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath has already met secretaries of various ministries to firm up the legislative agenda for the session that will continue till May 10 with a month-long recess from March 23.
Nath has also called a meeting of chief whips of political parties ahead of the session.
The Left and the Right have been aggressive on a host of issues including the chopper deal.
Other issues include corruption and inflation besides other economic matters with central trade unions, including Congress-affiliated INTUC, already giving a strike call on February 20-21 against the government`s "inaction" on the issue of price rise and alleged violation of labour laws.
The Budget Session begins with the Address of President Pranab Mukherjee to the joint sitting of Parliament. The Rail Budget will be presented on February 26 and economic survey will be tabled the next day.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram will present the General Budget on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened