Lt Colonel honey-trapped by Bangladeshi woman
New Delhi: In what could be an embarrassing situation for the Army and moreover might have implications on national security, an Army Lieutenant Colonel was arrested on Wednesday evening with a Bangladeshi woman, from a five star hotel in Delhi.
The arrest was made following a tip-off from India’s external agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). The Lieutenant Colonel was handed over to the Army. Meanwhile, the Army has started a Court of Inquiry (COI) against the officer.
Arrested Lt Colonel Sanjay Shandilya was working a second in command of armed-regiment in Rajasthan’s Suratgarh district, bordering Pakistan.
The most worrying facts in the whole episode is that a laptop belonging to the Lt Colonel is reportedly missing. The same laptop was also being used by the Commanding Officer (CO) of the same regiment.
The laptop is said to have contained “sensitive informations” on India’s security. It could be noted that the Army conducted three war-exercises on Rajasthan border in the last years. The informations if leaked could pour water on Army’s year-long preparedness, defence experts say.
Lt Colonel Shandilya was honey-trapped by the Bangladeshi woman, whom he had met at a party in Dhaka. The officer was doing his Staff College course in Bangladesh`s Military Academy in Dhaka.
The Bangladeshi woman named Sheeba further established contact with the Army officer through the social networking site Facebook.
Sheeba used to visit India on various pretexts to meet the Army man, sources added.
The Bangladeshi women is suspected to be an ISI agent, who had earlier honey-trapped an Indian officer in Dhaka last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest