Lt Gen Chachra takes over as Western Army Commander
Haryana: Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra on Friday assumed command of Western Army Commander.
On taking over the reins of the Western Command, Gen Chachra was presented a Guard , a defence release said.
After the solemn wreath laying ceremony on Friday at the Veer Smriti War Memorial, Gen Chachra remarked in the visitors book "On this solemn day on taking over command of the Western Army, I salute the valiant Martyrs for their valiant contribution and assured them of our commitment to uphold the highest traditions of the Indian Army".
The General is a second generation Rajput officer commissioned in the 17 Rajpur in June 1974 and later commanded 16 Rajpur in a counter insurgency environment in the North East region.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy at Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, the General Officer Commanding has had varied combat, staff and instructional experience.
He is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington where he later served as Directing Staff. He is qualified on Higher Command Course from Mhow (MP) and the National Defence College, New Delhi.
In his formative years of service, he had also been an instructor at the NDA, Khadakwasla, the release said.
Lt Gen Chachra, has had a distinguished combat experience and the General Officer has seen active service on the Siachen Glacier, High Altitude in the North and North East.
He was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) for commanding 16 Rajput in Counter Insurgency Operations in the North East.
He was earlier the Military Secretary at Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army), New Delhi.
He has taken over in place of Lt Gen S R Ghosh who retired on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city