Lt Gen Chachra takes over as Western Army Commander
Haryana: Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra on Friday assumed command of Western Army Commander.
On taking over the reins of the Western Command, Gen Chachra was presented a Guard , a defence release said.
After the solemn wreath laying ceremony on Friday at the Veer Smriti War Memorial, Gen Chachra remarked in the visitors book "On this solemn day on taking over command of the Western Army, I salute the valiant Martyrs for their valiant contribution and assured them of our commitment to uphold the highest traditions of the Indian Army".
The General is a second generation Rajput officer commissioned in the 17 Rajpur in June 1974 and later commanded 16 Rajpur in a counter insurgency environment in the North East region.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy at Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, the General Officer Commanding has had varied combat, staff and instructional experience.
He is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington where he later served as Directing Staff. He is qualified on Higher Command Course from Mhow (MP) and the National Defence College, New Delhi.
In his formative years of service, he had also been an instructor at the NDA, Khadakwasla, the release said.
Lt Gen Chachra, has had a distinguished combat experience and the General Officer has seen active service on the Siachen Glacier, High Altitude in the North and North East.
He was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) for commanding 16 Rajput in Counter Insurgency Operations in the North East.
He was earlier the Military Secretary at Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army), New Delhi.
He has taken over in place of Lt Gen S R Ghosh who retired on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured