Lt Gen D S Thakur being elevated as Army`s new Deputy Chief
New Delhi: Lt Gen D S Thakur, a veteran infantry officer and currently holding the charge of Military Intelligence wing, is being elevated as the Army`s new Deputy Chief.
Thakur is the Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI) and his tenure has been hit by allegations of snooping of key Defence Ministry officials by its personnel.
During his stint as DGMI, the Army has set up a Board of Officers under Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia to look into the closure of the Technical Services Division (TSD) and is expected to file its report in the near future.
Thakur will succeed Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali, who retired on November 30, sources said.
Lt Gen R N Singh, currently tChief of Staff in the Eastern Command, is expected to be appointed as the new DGMI.
The Army has two Deputy Chiefs out of which one looks after procurement and the other the training aspects of the troops along with the information systems in the force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living