Lt Gen DS Thakur being elevated as Army`s new Deputy Chief
New Delhi: Lt Gen D S Thakur, a veteran infantry officer and currently holding the charge of Military Intelligence wing, is being elevated as the Army`s new Deputy Chief.
Thakur is the Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI) and his tenure has been hit by allegations of snooping of key Defence Ministry officials by its personnel.
During his stint as DGMI, the Army has set up a Board of Officers under Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia to look into the closure of the Technical Services Division (TSD) and is expected to file its report in the near future.
Thakur will succeed Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali, who retired on November 30, sources said.
Lt Gen R N Singh, currently the Chief of Staff in the Eastern Command, is expected to be appointed as the new DGMI.
The Army has two Deputy Chiefs out of which one looks after procurement and the other the training aspects of the troops along with the information systems in the force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days