Lt Gen DS Thakur being elevated as Army`s new Deputy Chief
New Delhi: Lt Gen D S Thakur, a veteran infantry officer and currently holding the charge of Military Intelligence wing, is being elevated as the Army`s new Deputy Chief.
Thakur is the Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI) and his tenure has been hit by allegations of snooping of key Defence Ministry officials by its personnel.
During his stint as DGMI, the Army has set up a Board of Officers under Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia to look into the closure of the Technical Services Division (TSD) and is expected to file its report in the near future.
Thakur will succeed Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali, who retired on November 30, sources said.
Lt Gen R N Singh, currently the Chief of Staff in the Eastern Command, is expected to be appointed as the new DGMI.
The Army has two Deputy Chiefs out of which one looks after procurement and the other the training aspects of the troops along with the information systems in the force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video