Lt Gen DS Thakur being elevated as Army`s new Deputy Chief
New Delhi: Lt Gen D S Thakur, a veteran infantry officer and currently holding the charge of Military Intelligence wing, is being elevated as the Army`s new Deputy Chief.
Thakur is the Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI) and his tenure has been hit by allegations of snooping of key Defence Ministry officials by its personnel.
During his stint as DGMI, the Army has set up a Board of Officers under Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia to look into the closure of the Technical Services Division (TSD) and is expected to file its report in the near future.
Thakur will succeed Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali, who retired on November 30, sources said.
Lt Gen R N Singh, currently the Chief of Staff in the Eastern Command, is expected to be appointed as the new DGMI.
The Army has two Deputy Chiefs out of which one looks after procurement and the other the training aspects of the troops along with the information systems in the force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'