Lt General to be court martialled in `Ration scam`
New Delhi: Indicted in the `Ration scam`,
a retired Lieutenant General will face a court martial
starting Friday this week for his alleged role in
irregularities in procuring meat and dry rations for troops in
Siachen and other high altitude areas.
Lt Gen S K Sahni, a former Director General of the
Army Supply Corps (ASC), is the highest-ranking officer in the
defence services till now to face a court martial for his
alleged involvement in a corruption case.
He was attached to the Jalandhar-based 11 Corps for
the Summary of Evidence (SoE), which was completed on July 10
and after it recommended to continue disciplinary action
against him, orders for his General Court Martial (GCM) were
issued by the authorities concerned, Army sources said.
A Court of Inquiry constituted in 2005 had recommended
disciplinary action against him in the case. Sahni retired
from the Army a year after the inquiry was instituted against
The officer was also charged for procuring poor
quality pulses for troops posted under the Northern Command in
Jammu and Kashmir.
In February this year, Army had recommended
disciplinary action against two Lt Gens including former
Military Secretary Avadesh Prakash and former 33 Corps
Commander P K Rath after they were indicted by a probe for
their roles in the Sukna land scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- England to go ahead with Bangladesh tour amid security fears
- Donald Trump victory could cause global recession: Citigroup
- US naval ship fired warning shots at Iranian vessel: official
- Cycling: Yates attacks to win Vuelta sixth stage
- Rio Olympics fallout: Swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over false robbery claim