LTC scam: RS MP refutes charges against him
New Delhi: Janata Dal (United) MP Anil Sahani, who has been named in a CBI FIR related to fake travel claims scam, on Saturday refuted the allegations against him claiming he himself was a victim of the fraud committed by his staff.
Speaking to PTI over phone, Sahani, a Rajya Sabha member, said he had come to know that claims have been made against his quota of tickets and he had informed the authorities on March 1 this year.
He said no money was ever transferred to his bank account for transactions associated with the Rajya Sabha but claims were made against his name.
"20 fake tickets were claimed in my name in 2012. The racketeer called me and said your 20 tickets are unclaimed and they will lapse. He told me that these tickets have been sold to someone in your name. He proposed that money would be transferred to my account and once I get the money, spoils could be split," Sahani said.
Sahani accused his personal assistant Avinash of hatching this conspiracy, who vanished after the alleged claims for travel bills were made.
"Immediately thereafter, I informed the authorities that my PA Avinash has made these fake claims who has since gone missing after he came to know of the complaint. I had demanded in 2012 that an investigation be carried out in this. We have provided this complaint to CBI also. I have given the tickets to CBI yesterday also," he claimed.
CBI has registered a case against Sahani, an Air India customer Service agent Rubina Akhtar and a Lajpat Nagar-based travel operator Air Cruise Travels Private Limited for allegedly making false claims using forged air tickets and boarding passes.
It is alleged that Sahani made false claims of approximately Rs 9.5 lakh for seven business class return air tickets costing nearly Rs 1.34 lakh each to Port Blair in December 2012 using fake air tickets and boarding passes for himself and six associates, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs