M Thambidurai elected Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker
New Delhi: All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) leader M Thambidurai was on Wednesday unanimously elected as the deputy speaker of the Lok Sabha.
The motion for his election was moved by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and seconded by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Almost all parties moved motions for his election, including the Congress.
Congratulating Thambidurai, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: "He is an academician, activist and an agriculturist too. I assure the government will give complete cooperation to you."
Thambidurai filed his nomination for the post on Tuesday.
The AIADMK has 37 MPs in the lower house of Parliament and is the third largest party after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH