M Thambidurai elected Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker
New Delhi: All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) leader M Thambidurai was on Wednesday unanimously elected as the deputy speaker of the Lok Sabha.
The motion for his election was moved by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and seconded by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Almost all parties moved motions for his election, including the Congress.
Congratulating Thambidurai, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: "He is an academician, activist and an agriculturist too. I assure the government will give complete cooperation to you."
Thambidurai filed his nomination for the post on Tuesday.
The AIADMK has 37 MPs in the lower house of Parliament and is the third largest party after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS