Madhu Koda, cabinet colleague questioned in jail
Ranchi: The interrogation of former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda and his cabinet colleague Kamlesh Singh continued for the second day in jail Monday as officials probed deeper into the Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam.
Koda and Kamlesh Singh, who are at the Birsa Munda Central jail here, were arrested Nov 30. Two other former ministers, Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai, are also in the same jail.
"The interrogation of Koda and Kamlesh began Sunday. They were interrogated for nearly four hours and it continued on Monday. The interrogation will carry on till Dec 12," said an official in the Jharkhand vigilance bureau that is investigating them for amassing wealth beyond their known sources of income.
He added that the two were being evasive. Koda is learnt to be saying that he does not remember when asked about details.
Sources in the vigilance bureau added that Koda was being questioned on his investments, properties, money invested in foreign countries as well as links with his close associates Vinod Sinha and Sanjay Chaudhary. The Income Tax department and the Enforcement Directorate have issued separate arrest warrants against Sinha and Chaudhary.
The vigilance bureau had lodged a first information report (FIR) against Koda and three former cabinet colleagues -- Kamlesh Singh, Bhanu Pratap Sahi and Bandhu Tirkey -- on July 22.
The charges against them include siphoning government money, cheating, amassing assets beyond their known sources of income and misusing their official positions. The cases were lodged under different sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Their houses were raided July 24. The vigilance department seized documents related to huge investments, land and jewellery. A revolver was also seized from Tirkey`s house.
On Oct 31, the Income Tax department and Enforcement Directorate raided 69 places in eight cities across India. These included the homes of Koda, Sinha and Chaudhary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'