Madhuri Gupta case: Witnesses fail to turn up
New Delhi: The trial in the espionage case
involving suspended Indian diplomat Madhuri Gupta could not
take place on Friday as the prosecution witness failed to turn up
before the court.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain was to begin
recording the witnesses` statements against Gupta, who has
been charged under the Official Secrets Act for allegedly
supplying classified information to an ISI agent during her
posting in Islamabad.
After the prosecution witnesses failed to turn up, the
court issued summons to other fresh witnesses and posted the
matter for next hearing on June 6-7, 2012.
Gupta, 55, who was posted as Second Secretary (Press and
Information) in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, was
arrested on April 22, 2010, by the Special Cell of Delhi
Police and charged with leaking India`s classified and
defence-related information to ISI.
On January 7, she was charged under Section 3 and 5 of
the Official Secrets Act for lighter offences entailing
maximum three year jail term, for allegedly supplying the
country`s information (not related to defence) to an ISI agent
during her Islamabad posting.
While framing the charges, the court held the information
leaked by Gupta did not fall under the category of work of
defence, as opposed to the prosecution`s case.
Gupta was also charged with the breach of trust, criminal
conspiracy and various other provisions of the Official
Under Section 3 of the Act, passing information relating
to defence carries a maximum jail term of 14 years while
leaking information, not related to defence, carries a jail
term of three years.
Gupta was granted bail on January 10 after having spent
over 21 months in jail.
It was alleged Gupta was trapped into revealing certain
classified information to Pakistani officials and was in touch
with two ISI officials, Mubshar Raza Rana and Jamshed.
According to the chargesheet filed in July 2010, she was
involved in a relationship with Jamshed whom she planned to
marry and communicated with him using a code name `Jim`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug