Madhuri Gupta says she is being framed
New Delhi: Madhuri Gupta, a junior Indian diplomat arrested on charges of spying for Pakistan`s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), told a court here Saturday that she was being framed, police sources said.
Gupta was sent to 14 days judicial custody by Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja. The police were told to present Gupta before the court on May 15.
According to a police official, Gupta, 53, said she was not a senior officer and could not have passed on sensitive information to her contacts in Pakistan where she was posted in the Indian High Commission.
But she said she had revealed the identities of Indian undercover agents in Pakistan.
Her counsel Jagmohan Dahiya said police wanted to extend her custody for two more days, which the court rejected. Earlier she was in police custody for five days.
According to court sources, the police wanted to extend her remand as they claimed she was changing her statements time and again in order to mislead them.
She has been booked under the Official Secrets Act.
Gupta, a second secretary at the Indian mission in Islamabad, was arrested here April 27 on charges of passing on information to the Pakistanis.
According to officials, she came under suspicion months ago and was called to Delhi on the pretext of helping to prepare for the SAARC summit that ended in Bhutan this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre