Madhuri Gupta spying case: In camera trial begins
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday commenced trial in a spying case in which suspended Indian diplomat Madhuri Gupta is accused of supplying classified information to an ISI agent during her posting in Islamabad.
The trial of Gupta, who is charged under the Official Secrets Act, began in-camera before additional sessions judge Pawan Kumar Jain, who recorded the testimony of two senior bureaucrats in the Ministry of External Affairs as prosecution witnesses.
At the outset, the judge asked all but Gupta, her counsel and the public prosecutor, to leave the court room.
A special secretary and a joint secretary in MEA recorded their statements today.
Gupta, 55, was posted as Second Secretary (Press and Information) in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad and was arrested on April 22, 2010, by the Special Cell of Delhi Police for leaking India`s classified and defence-related information to ISI.
On January 7, she was charged under Section 3 and 5 of the Official Secrets Act for the lighter offences entailing maximum three years jail term, for allegedly supplying the country`s information (not related to work of defence) to an ISI agent during her Islamabad posting.
While framing the charges, the court held the information leaked by Gupta did not fall under the category of work of defence, as opposed to the prosecution`s case.
She was also charged with the breach of trust, criminal conspiracy and various other provisions of the Official Secrets Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow