Madhuri Gupta spying case: In camera trial begins
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday commenced trial in a spying case in which suspended Indian diplomat Madhuri Gupta is accused of supplying classified information to an ISI agent during her posting in Islamabad.
The trial of Gupta, who is charged under the Official Secrets Act, began in-camera before additional sessions judge Pawan Kumar Jain, who recorded the testimony of two senior bureaucrats in the Ministry of External Affairs as prosecution witnesses.
At the outset, the judge asked all but Gupta, her counsel and the public prosecutor, to leave the court room.
A special secretary and a joint secretary in MEA recorded their statements today.
Gupta, 55, was posted as Second Secretary (Press and Information) in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad and was arrested on April 22, 2010, by the Special Cell of Delhi Police for leaking India`s classified and defence-related information to ISI.
On January 7, she was charged under Section 3 and 5 of the Official Secrets Act for the lighter offences entailing maximum three years jail term, for allegedly supplying the country`s information (not related to work of defence) to an ISI agent during her Islamabad posting.
While framing the charges, the court held the information leaked by Gupta did not fall under the category of work of defence, as opposed to the prosecution`s case.
She was also charged with the breach of trust, criminal conspiracy and various other provisions of the Official Secrets Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today