Madhya Pradesh CM favours capital punishment for rapists
Bhopal: Strongly recommending capital punishment for rapists, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has suggested various measures to the Chief Justice (retd) JS Varma Committee for stringent legal provisions to curb the growing crimes of rape and violence.
The suggestions were forwarded by Chouhan yesterday to the Varma committee which was constituted by the Centre in the wake of the recent New Delhi gang-rape case, official sources said today.
Besides recommending capital punishment for rapists, Chouhan also recommended that it should also be given in cases where the rape victim commits suicide or contracts HIV/STD diseases within a year of rape.
The Chief Minister also suggested to enhance the period of punishment from present seven to fourteen years under section 376 (1) and (2) of the IPC.
Referring to the cases where mutual trust is betrayed between individuals specially in relationships like teacher and students, Chouhan suggested that Criminal Law Amendment Bill, 2012 must take care of this situation.
Drivers and conductors of transport vehicles should also be held responsible for the crime committed in their vehicles.
He further suggested that like the perpetrator, victim should also be given an opportunity to be heard during trial on the ground of concept of equality before the final judgement is pronounced.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif exonerated in Panama Papers case: Report
- NHPC share sale: Institutional buyers put in Rs 3,410 crore bids
- See pic: NASA's Cassini spots a sea of Methane on Saturn's moon, Titan!
- CGBSE.net Class 10th HS Results 2016: Chattisgarh Board CGBSE.nic.in High School (Class 10th X) Exam Results 2016 to be announced today
- Fed keeps key rate unchanged, noting slower US growth