Madhya Pradesh CM favours capital punishment for rapists
Bhopal: Strongly recommending capital punishment for rapists, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has suggested various measures to the Chief Justice (retd) JS Varma Committee for stringent legal provisions to curb the growing crimes of rape and violence.
The suggestions were forwarded by Chouhan yesterday to the Varma committee which was constituted by the Centre in the wake of the recent New Delhi gang-rape case, official sources said today.
Besides recommending capital punishment for rapists, Chouhan also recommended that it should also be given in cases where the rape victim commits suicide or contracts HIV/STD diseases within a year of rape.
The Chief Minister also suggested to enhance the period of punishment from present seven to fourteen years under section 376 (1) and (2) of the IPC.
Referring to the cases where mutual trust is betrayed between individuals specially in relationships like teacher and students, Chouhan suggested that Criminal Law Amendment Bill, 2012 must take care of this situation.
Drivers and conductors of transport vehicles should also be held responsible for the crime committed in their vehicles.
He further suggested that like the perpetrator, victim should also be given an opportunity to be heard during trial on the ground of concept of equality before the final judgement is pronounced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...