Madhya Pradesh topped in rape cases in 2008: Report
Indore: Madhya Pradesh registered the
highest number of rape cases, at 2,937, in the country in
2008, according to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
However, a cursory look at NCRB`s report would reveal
that there had been a 3 per cent decline in the rape cases in
2008, from 3,010 in 2007, in the state.
As many as 21,467 cases of rape had been registered
across the country in 2008, which was 3.5 per cent more than
2007, said the report by Delhi-based NCRB, which comes under
the Union Home Ministry.
Of these victims, 57.2 per cent were in the age group
of 18-30. In 91 per cent cases, the victims were known to the
rape accused, it said.
"Police have been asked to firmly deal with rape
cases," Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta told
reporters here on Monday.
Political parties, media and social organisations
should join hands to check the heinous crime of rape, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch