Madhya Pradesh topped in rape cases in 2008: Report
Indore: Madhya Pradesh registered the
highest number of rape cases, at 2,937, in the country in
2008, according to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
However, a cursory look at NCRB`s report would reveal
that there had been a 3 per cent decline in the rape cases in
2008, from 3,010 in 2007, in the state.
As many as 21,467 cases of rape had been registered
across the country in 2008, which was 3.5 per cent more than
2007, said the report by Delhi-based NCRB, which comes under
the Union Home Ministry.
Of these victims, 57.2 per cent were in the age group
of 18-30. In 91 per cent cases, the victims were known to the
rape accused, it said.
"Police have been asked to firmly deal with rape
cases," Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta told
reporters here on Monday.
Political parties, media and social organisations
should join hands to check the heinous crime of rape, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users