Madhya Pradesh topped in rape cases in 2008: Report
Indore: Madhya Pradesh registered the
highest number of rape cases, at 2,937, in the country in
2008, according to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
However, a cursory look at NCRB`s report would reveal
that there had been a 3 per cent decline in the rape cases in
2008, from 3,010 in 2007, in the state.
As many as 21,467 cases of rape had been registered
across the country in 2008, which was 3.5 per cent more than
2007, said the report by Delhi-based NCRB, which comes under
the Union Home Ministry.
Of these victims, 57.2 per cent were in the age group
of 18-30. In 91 per cent cases, the victims were known to the
rape accused, it said.
"Police have been asked to firmly deal with rape
cases," Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta told
reporters here on Monday.
Political parties, media and social organisations
should join hands to check the heinous crime of rape, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'