Madhya Pradesh topped in rape cases in 2008: Report
Indore: Madhya Pradesh registered the
highest number of rape cases, at 2,937, in the country in
2008, according to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
However, a cursory look at NCRB`s report would reveal
that there had been a 3 per cent decline in the rape cases in
2008, from 3,010 in 2007, in the state.
As many as 21,467 cases of rape had been registered
across the country in 2008, which was 3.5 per cent more than
2007, said the report by Delhi-based NCRB, which comes under
the Union Home Ministry.
Of these victims, 57.2 per cent were in the age group
of 18-30. In 91 per cent cases, the victims were known to the
rape accused, it said.
"Police have been asked to firmly deal with rape
cases," Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta told
reporters here on Monday.
Political parties, media and social organisations
should join hands to check the heinous crime of rape, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!