Maha asks CBI Interpol to help hand over Mirchi
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has asked
CBI Interpol wing to obtain custody of gangster Iqbal Mirchi,
held in London, and hand him over to it.
"We have asked the CBI Interpol wing to obtain custody
of Iqbal Mirchi and hand him over to us," Home Minister R R
Iqbal Memon alias `Iqbal Mirchi`, considered to be the
right-hand man of fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, was
arrested in the UK yesterday.
"There are 12 serious criminal cases against Iqbal
Mirchi registered in Mumbai and rest of Maharashtra," Patil
61-year-old Memon, against whom an Interpol Red Corner
Notice was pending since 1994, is wanted by Mumbai police in
connection with cases related to drug peddling and 1993 Mumbai
CBI sources said the UK police would be approached
through the Interpol and diplomatic channels to seek his
extradition or deportation to India.
Iqbal Mirchi began his career in the underworld as a
smuggler and became a big player in drug peddling around
After his escape from Mumbai, he is alleged to have
been dividing his time between Dubai and London.
He was earlier detained in London but the UK
authorities had turned down India`s request for extradition at
that point of time.
However, this time, the sources said, they were
hopeful of making a headway with more evidence against him
that will be provided by the Mumbai police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH