Maha asks CBI Interpol to help hand over Mirchi
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has asked
CBI Interpol wing to obtain custody of gangster Iqbal Mirchi,
held in London, and hand him over to it.
"We have asked the CBI Interpol wing to obtain custody
of Iqbal Mirchi and hand him over to us," Home Minister R R
Iqbal Memon alias `Iqbal Mirchi`, considered to be the
right-hand man of fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, was
arrested in the UK yesterday.
"There are 12 serious criminal cases against Iqbal
Mirchi registered in Mumbai and rest of Maharashtra," Patil
61-year-old Memon, against whom an Interpol Red Corner
Notice was pending since 1994, is wanted by Mumbai police in
connection with cases related to drug peddling and 1993 Mumbai
CBI sources said the UK police would be approached
through the Interpol and diplomatic channels to seek his
extradition or deportation to India.
Iqbal Mirchi began his career in the underworld as a
smuggler and became a big player in drug peddling around
After his escape from Mumbai, he is alleged to have
been dividing his time between Dubai and London.
He was earlier detained in London but the UK
authorities had turned down India`s request for extradition at
that point of time.
However, this time, the sources said, they were
hopeful of making a headway with more evidence against him
that will be provided by the Mumbai police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail