Maha govt offers award of Rs 2.5 lacs for info on serial killer
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil has announced on Monday a cash award of Rs 2.5 lacs for any information of the killer who is believed to have raped and murdered three minor girls within a period of four months in Mumbai’s Kurla suburb.
The police have stepped up their vigil in Mumbai`s Kurla suburb, days after the body of a nine-year-old girl was recovered from a local slum. The nine-year-old is the third girl who has been raped and killed here since February, sparking concerns about a serial killer targeting the locality.
In February, a five-year-old girl had been kidnapped and raped and her body had been recovered from a nearby hut. A month later, another nine-year-old girl had been similarly raped and killed after being kidnapped from the locality.
Angry residents accuse the police of inaction, which has apparently emboldened the serial killer to continue with the killings.
Residents also claim that at least two more kidnap attempts had been foiled by the victims themselves -- again girls below the age of 10 -- after they screamed and escaped their molester.
Stung by criticism, the police have stepped up vigil in the area and a senior inspector has been transferred for being unable to solve the case in four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days