Maha govt offers award of Rs 2.5 lacs for info on serial killer
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil has announced on Monday a cash award of Rs 2.5 lacs for any information of the killer who is believed to have raped and murdered three minor girls within a period of four months in Mumbai’s Kurla suburb.
The police have stepped up their vigil in Mumbai`s Kurla suburb, days after the body of a nine-year-old girl was recovered from a local slum. The nine-year-old is the third girl who has been raped and killed here since February, sparking concerns about a serial killer targeting the locality.
In February, a five-year-old girl had been kidnapped and raped and her body had been recovered from a nearby hut. A month later, another nine-year-old girl had been similarly raped and killed after being kidnapped from the locality.
Angry residents accuse the police of inaction, which has apparently emboldened the serial killer to continue with the killings.
Residents also claim that at least two more kidnap attempts had been foiled by the victims themselves -- again girls below the age of 10 -- after they screamed and escaped their molester.
Stung by criticism, the police have stepped up vigil in the area and a senior inspector has been transferred for being unable to solve the case in four months.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory