Maha Guv praises Army`s role in fostering `one India` unit
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan today described Indian Army as a "shining example" of unity and secularism and said that it has fostered the spirit of `one India` among the people.
Participating in the `Vijay Diwas` celebrations at Shivaji Park here to commemorate Army`s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, the Governor said it was the most appropriate day to showcase Army to the nation and motivate youth to join the military.
"The occasion will motivate and inspire the youth to join the second largest army in the world. The weapon system and equipment on display here will help create awareness and understanding of the role played by the Army.
"It will also provide an overview of the career opportunities available to the youth in the force highlighting the unique lifestyle it offers. Life in the defence forces has its unique thrills and challenges," he said.
Apart from defending the nation and protecting its territorial integrity, the armed forces of India have always remained in the forefront of rescue and relief operations during natural and man made calamities, the Governor said.
They have also participated in various peace keeping missions across the world and contributed to the cause of world peace, he observed.
He said the government and the administration are making concerted efforts to meet the requirements of the ex-servicemen and assured that these endeavours will continue to remain top priority of the government.
The Governor expressed satisfaction at the impressive turnout of people and also ex-servicemen at the `Know Your Army Mela`, organised at Shivaji Park.
"To see such an impressive turnout from various segments of the society is indeed very heartening as it shows our focus and collective resolve to honour and respect our valiant soldiers," he said.
Since the last two days, Mumbaikars have been enthralled by the motor cycle, sky-diving, `malkhamb` and aero-modelling displays during the celebration of Vijay Diwas in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation