Maha Guv praises Army`s role in fostering `one India` unit
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan today described Indian Army as a "shining example" of unity and secularism and said that it has fostered the spirit of `one India` among the people.
Participating in the `Vijay Diwas` celebrations at Shivaji Park here to commemorate Army`s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, the Governor said it was the most appropriate day to showcase Army to the nation and motivate youth to join the military.
"The occasion will motivate and inspire the youth to join the second largest army in the world. The weapon system and equipment on display here will help create awareness and understanding of the role played by the Army.
"It will also provide an overview of the career opportunities available to the youth in the force highlighting the unique lifestyle it offers. Life in the defence forces has its unique thrills and challenges," he said.
Apart from defending the nation and protecting its territorial integrity, the armed forces of India have always remained in the forefront of rescue and relief operations during natural and man made calamities, the Governor said.
They have also participated in various peace keeping missions across the world and contributed to the cause of world peace, he observed.
He said the government and the administration are making concerted efforts to meet the requirements of the ex-servicemen and assured that these endeavours will continue to remain top priority of the government.
The Governor expressed satisfaction at the impressive turnout of people and also ex-servicemen at the `Know Your Army Mela`, organised at Shivaji Park.
"To see such an impressive turnout from various segments of the society is indeed very heartening as it shows our focus and collective resolve to honour and respect our valiant soldiers," he said.
Since the last two days, Mumbaikars have been enthralled by the motor cycle, sky-diving, `malkhamb` and aero-modelling displays during the celebration of Vijay Diwas in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh