Maha Guv praises Army`s role in fostering `one India` unit
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan today described Indian Army as a "shining example" of unity and secularism and said that it has fostered the spirit of `one India` among the people.
Participating in the `Vijay Diwas` celebrations at Shivaji Park here to commemorate Army`s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, the Governor said it was the most appropriate day to showcase Army to the nation and motivate youth to join the military.
"The occasion will motivate and inspire the youth to join the second largest army in the world. The weapon system and equipment on display here will help create awareness and understanding of the role played by the Army.
"It will also provide an overview of the career opportunities available to the youth in the force highlighting the unique lifestyle it offers. Life in the defence forces has its unique thrills and challenges," he said.
Apart from defending the nation and protecting its territorial integrity, the armed forces of India have always remained in the forefront of rescue and relief operations during natural and man made calamities, the Governor said.
They have also participated in various peace keeping missions across the world and contributed to the cause of world peace, he observed.
He said the government and the administration are making concerted efforts to meet the requirements of the ex-servicemen and assured that these endeavours will continue to remain top priority of the government.
The Governor expressed satisfaction at the impressive turnout of people and also ex-servicemen at the `Know Your Army Mela`, organised at Shivaji Park.
"To see such an impressive turnout from various segments of the society is indeed very heartening as it shows our focus and collective resolve to honour and respect our valiant soldiers," he said.
Since the last two days, Mumbaikars have been enthralled by the motor cycle, sky-diving, `malkhamb` and aero-modelling displays during the celebration of Vijay Diwas in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone