Mahapanchayat may be a shot in the arm for Cong
Aligarh: The Kisan Mahan-Panchayat may not
have provided any immediate dividends and succour to the
troubled farmers of this region, but Congress activists from
different parts of Uttar Pradesh are hopeful the exercise will
boost the prospects of the party in the region.
The organisers of the event did not appear to expect
the good turnout with bad weather adding to their woes.
Earlier in the morning, it was nearly touch and go
for the organisers with heavy rains playing spoil-sport till
near mid-day today. Huge pools of rain-water covered the
grounds and could have led to a complete fiasco had the rains
There are varying accounts regarding the public
attendance at the event but political analysts are widely of
the view that the show was by far the "biggest public
gathering of its kind for the Congress Party in this district
in recent years.
Bhuri Singh, a farmer from Bhatta Parsaul, said:
"Three members of my family have lost their lives during the
recent farmer`s agitation. I know the mahapanchayat will not
bring any immediate relief. But I have come here with the sole
mission of doing my best to unseat the Mayawati Govt."
Another farmer from Bhatta Parsaul, Mahaveer Singh,
who is also a member of the Kisan Sangharsh Samitee, said "the
Mayawati government claims to speak for dalits but among those
worst hit by her policies are the dalits of Uttar Pradesh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row