Maharashtra bids adieu to Lord Ganesh
Mumbai: Maharashtra bid farewell to Lord Ganesh amidst a riot of colours and traditional dance and music with thousands of big and small idols of the elephant-headed God set to be immersed under tight security on the occasion of `Anant Chaturdashi` on Saturday.
In Mumbai, people in large numbers lined up the streets to witness the immersion of Ganesh idols in the city and suburbs as chants of `Ganpati Bappa Morya` rented the air.
Maharashtra Government has declared a holiday today.
Mumbai Police, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), Indian Navy, Coast Guard, social groups and political parties are overseeing the immersion that marks the end of the Ganesh festival which began on September 19.
The BMC has prepared specific locations for immersion of the idols, the main being the Arabian Sea beaches at Chowpatty, Mahim, Prabhadevi, Juhu, Versova and Marve.
There are several other immersion sites, including the Mithi river inside the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in suburban Borivali, Aarey Milk Colony, small lakes ponds and wells.
The civic body has created artificial ponds for immersion of small idols which will ease pressure on the regular sites.
The immersion processions of all major Ganesh mandals started in the afternoon all over the metropolis where strict traffic norms are in place for the day.
Immersion processions were also taken out in other parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America