Maharashtra CM right not to share stage at public function with PM Modi: Tewari
New Delhi: Congress leader Manish Tewari on Thursday justified Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s decision not to share the stage at public functions with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
He said it was necessary for the future as a logical step by any self-respecting person in order to prevent any political mud-slinging in a public function.
"The unfortunate occurrences which have taken place, where responsible public functionaries have been booed or ridiculed almost in a systematic manner, then obviously any self-respecting person would not then like to share the dias and allow people or a political party in an orchestrated manner to use that platform in order to score political brownie points," Tewari told ANI.
Taking a leaf out of his Haryana counterpart Bhupinder Singh Hooda`s predicament at a recent event in Kaithal, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has reportedly refused to share stage with the Prime Minsiter.
Chavan`s decision comes after he faced humiliating experiences of being booed during two functions on August 16 - in Raigad and Solapur in Prime Minister Modi`s presence.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, too, had been heckled at a function where he was sharing stage with the Prime Minister. He thereafter decided that he would not share the dais with Prime Minister Modi in any future public functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH