Maharashtra: Cong-NCP ministry 23:20 formula to stay
Mumbai: Against the backdrop of Deputy
Chief Minister Ajit Pawar`s demand for additional portfolio
for NCP in the Maharashtra ministry, top leaders of Congress
and its ally met Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar at
his residence in South Mumbai Wednesday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State Congress chief
Manikrao Thakre, Mumbai unit president Kripashankar Singh met
Pawar along with Ajit Pawar, State NCP chief Madhukar Pichad.
Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel was also present.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Patel said
the swearing-in of ministers would take place tommorrow.
Indicating that the old formula of 23:20 would stay,
Patel said in the last one year, Congress and NCP had run the
government without any hiccups.
"The change in government at this juncture had taken
place in certain circumstances and hence there is no need for
any other change," he added.
Patel said there were no differences between the two
coalition partners over government formation.
Last week, nine NCP ministers along with Prithviraj
Chavan and Ajit Pawar had taken oath of office and secrecy
after Ashok Chavan was asked to step down from Chief
Ministership over his alleged involvement in the Adarsh
Yesterday, Ajit Pawar demanded that his party have 21
ministers intead of 20. "Last year, our demand was not met and
we backed out to ensure smooth government formation. But, this
time we will persist with the demand," he had said.
However, Congress had ruled out any change in the
formula for ministerial allocation. The strength of the
Maharashtra cabinet is 43.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi