`Mahasen` weakens, moves towards Bangladesh
Bhubaneswar: The cyclonic storm `Mahasen` created over southeast Bay of Bengal has weakened and moved slightly towards the northwest, the local Met office said on Sunday.
"Latest satellite imagery shows disorganisation of cloud mass and weakening of the system," said S K Dastidar, the director in-charge of the local IMD was quoted as saying in its bulletin.
The system lay centred at 8:30 am near about 1,140 km south of Paradip. It would move initially northwestwards during the next 36 hours and recurve thereafter northeastwards towards the Bangladesh-Myanmar coast, according to the bulletin.
Under its impact, rain or thundershower is expected occur at a few places over Odisha during the next 24 hours, while Distant Warning Signal Number-Two (DW-II) was kept hoisted at Paradip and Gopalpur ports in the state, it said.
On the impact of the cyclonic storm, the bulletin mentions that surface wind speed reaching 35-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph from southwesterly direction would prevail along and off Odisha coast.
Fishermen should be cautious while venturing into the sea, Dastidar said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata